06 June 2011

Remember me

A long time ago, a very dear friend of mine penned these words in her beautiful handwriting in one of my books in bengali script. It seemed to come from a very deep place in the heart of the poet, from the heart of the great Rabindranath Tagore. It must be the rains that made me remember this poignant piece and it felt right to share it.

The Bengali (original) version...

Tobu mone rekho...
Tobu mone rekho jodi doorey jaye choley 
Tobu mone rekho...
Jodi puratano prem dhaaka podey jaye naba premor jaale
...mone rekho
Tobu mone rekho...
jodi thaaki kacha kache 
dekhitey na pao chhayaar moto achi na acchi... 
mone rekho
Jodi jal aashey ankhipaatey 
Aek din jodi khaela theyme jaaye modhu raatey... tobu mone rekho
Aek din jodi baadha pode kaaje sharado praatey... money rekho
jodi podeya  mone...
jodi podeya mone chholo chholo jal nai dekha dei nayanno konney
tobu mone rekho
mone rekho

English translation...
Yet do remember...
Remember me
Even if i go far away... Remember me
If old love is smothered in new Loves' snare
Remember me...
If like an unseen shadow
I choose to stay nearby
there for your descry, yet you can not see me... Remember me

If on a spring night the play suddenly stops
and tears swell on the wells of your eyes... 
Remember me
If on an autumns first light your work is hindered suddenly...
Remember me.
If no tears well on your eyes when you remember... Remember me.




Youtube video supposedly in the voice of the master himself : http://youtu.be/r9teMCBGS7Q

No comments: